8.16.2006

New Music

So this past weekend I threw frugality to the wind and bought a bunch of music.

Lets start with


Billy Bragg rules, but this CD has yet to grow on me. The first track, "The Internationale" is a bit heavy handed. I guess it was Bragg's attempt to make some sort of standard International Anthem. It just sounds dated. I am looking forward to watching the live footage on the bonus DVD!

Next up:


This the Mountain Goats' first album. Good lo-fi folk. I really like the lyrics of this band. This is porch-sittin' whiskey-drinkin' music, at least I think so. I got the whiskey, I got a porch, lets do this thang...

Moving on:


I grabbed this double CD of Superchunk unreleased songs and b-sides when I saw that it had an acoustic version of "Detroit has a Skyline". It was worth it just for that. Each song has liner notes that give commentary from the band on the history of the songs. This is a great deal, 2 cds of Superchunk songs for the price of 1. Merge records wins!

And I got:


Sizzla has been in my listening library ever since I heard his single on Sirius radio. The single is the title track of the album, "Ain't Gonna See Us Fall." Its pretty lame and white-boy of me, but I find this CD to be pretty uplifting. Positive resistance, or something along those lines. Feel free to hit your back buttons at any time...

Moving On:


This is the second of the Thug Matrix albums from QB's finest, Tragedy Khadafi. This is full of more bangers, though some tracks are weaker than the awesomely consistent Thug Matrix Vol. 1. Guest this time include some of my D-Block favorites, Jadakiss and Styles-P. It is what it to be, scooby...

Does it ever end?


Dan Higgs recently did a piece on the local NPR station about him and his band, Lungfish. The guy is cleary on some other plane of existence and his music shows as much. I like this record a lot. Bearded folk make good music, i think this is the lesson.

Oh man:


K-Swift, the CLUB QUEEN. If you are into Baltimore Club, this is the CD to start with. Tracks such as "Up the Hill" and "Don't Make" wil get any party started right. If your party is into gratuitous violence and anger in their club music, all the better. If you play this in the car, you best be better to roll hard, or at least bust a move at a stoplight.

And finally:


Not sure why I thought this would be good, but it was only 8 bucks. I listened to it once and other than the single, this is pretty weak. I will give it a few more tries. I wish this album had more guests. At least T.I. guest spot or Mannie Fresh beat would liven things up.

So ends my positive bank account balance.

No comments: