2.20.2007

I Almost Wish They Were Republicans

Almost (warning, sourceless rant coming).

There is nothing more frustrating than living in a state where Democrats control almost everything at the State level, and still, year after year, those same Democrats miss opportunities to pass progressive legislation.

It breaks my heart when Maryland Legislature misses it's chance to end the racist death penalty in Maryland, and instead, makes moves to start executions again, as quickly as possible.

It infuriates me when the Democratic Legislature makes a decidedly anti-consumer decision to deregulate our electricity.

It disappoints me that in Baltimore City, blue to the core, corrupt officials consistently side with big developers and uber-employer Johns Hopkins over the interests of regular citizens.

I don't really know any other way to hold these legislators accountable other than to present them with solid challenges in Democratic primaries. Progressive, Jamie Raskin was able to defeat Ida Ruben in a State Senate primary battle in 2006. That is what we need more of.

Compared to many of the local bloggers that I read, I know very little about local/state politics. What I do know, is that for some reason many Democrats in Maryland have lost their way. Anyone have any idea how to bring them back into the fold?

No comments: